Blaming who

Blaming who

Saturday, January 14, 2012

A conversation with a 1st grader

I am now attending my sons class daily to help him with his day. Well this is my second week and I was helping the kids with some if their math they were doing Algebra in the first grade very basic but still algebra. So I was helping them while the teacher was testing the kids on their reading and comprehension. So the problem read like this 5+ (picture of boat) = 12 ; or 5 + n=12 well I would have done it this way but its cause I been in math for so long lol.

5 +n =12
-5      -5
n = 12 - 5
n= 7

But this was not how it was to be done lol!!

Anyways, I was helping this one kid with his work and out of the blue this is a conversation I had with him. We will call him Billy Bob Joe:

Billy Bob Joe: "Do you have a girlfriend?"
Me: "No"
Billy Bob Joe: " Are you a boy or a girl?"
Me: "Girl"
Billy Bob Joe: "Oh sorry, do you have a boyfriend?"
Me: "No, but its ok to ask questions and not know the answer or be surprised about it."

I started to laugh inside cause the kid was confused at first. I wanted to say more but did not want to start a up roar in the class or for the teacher cause I talked to the kid about who I am. But it was great to see his mind working cause I did not skip a beat on answering his questions and I showed no care in what he thought was a mistake. Which its not a mistake its more curiosity then anything. Which is fine this is when the kids need to learn to accept others for whatever reason.

Then later on they were watching Marching of the Penguin and the L word came up yes you know the word "LOVE" and just how the teacher explained it was great. The penguins choice who they love and that is just how they do it they love who they love and no other penguin will interfere cause they have only one partner.  It was great cause she was trying to be politically correct with me in the room but I dont care how anything is really said as long as its all convulsive to everyone and not just singling a group out.

But its been a great adventure to figure things out for my son and its been great seeing his school trying their best to keep him there and helping as much to make a day a successful day for him and that is to stay in school without sending him home. Up for a challenge but ready for a break. I am getting old and slower or is it because I am trying to hard and working to much? Only one can tell is me and I am not sure about it at times. Well that was my day in a nut shell!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me

Me
Pink Duct Tape and I!!!